So we are already in the midst of working on translating the Party Girl scripts into Spanish so we can have Spanish subtitled versions of the episodes, but we admittedly did not make plans to address another group, deaf and hearing impaired audiences.
Captioned Web TV has a Facebook page and blog site that spotlights web series with closed captions. Upon visiting the site, we saw where it noted a list of benefits for captioning your web series including
- Increased viewership – Captioning has been proven to increase views.
- Discovery Digital Networks – in this promotional article, a captioning service reports that adding captioning increased views by over 7 percent.
- In an article on Streaming Media, a YouTube product manager reports that in a test by YouTube itself, captioning was found to increase views by four percent. In addition, YouTube does NOT use automatic captioning when indexing videos. YouTube only uses edited captions for indexing.
- You can get additional views for an older show by going back and adding captions.
- Increased viewing time – Subtitling/captioning has been shown to increase how much time people spend watching a video to completion. In a promotional article, ReelSEO reports on a captioning service study that demonstrates as much as a 40% increase in viewing time.
- Helping Speakers of Other Languages Learn to Read – Captioning has been proven to help adults learning English as a second language. You can have the satisfaction of knowing you may have helped such people with their literacy skills.
- Helping Children Learn to Read – Captioning has been proven to help children learn to read. You can have the satisfaction of knowing you may have helped a child to improve his or her reading skills. Learn about current research on the Captions for Literacy website.
And these were only a few of the benefits listed.
Since we’re so used to the fact that we hear, we don’t think about those who can’t. It’s a lesson, you have to make sure you include everyone as you consider the audiences you’re trying to reach.
We started our caption plan with the latest chapter and we will be working our way backward. One we get them all, the blog site will list them.